Saturday 22 February 2014

The pendulum swings, some progress at last

After what seems like weeks of dismantling, we have turned the corner and have started to put new bits on to both our patients.
BR Mark 1 SO 4477 vestibule floor

These are the oak floor supports, painted ready to fit.  I had intended to take a picture after each piece had been inserted, however excitement must have got the better of me because it was all in place when I remembered to take the next picture.
The supports in place together with the plywood floor panel
The new door threshold piece, sitting flat on the repaired chassis rail.
Looking down at the corridor connection
The shot blasted and painted radiator, ready to be re-fitted
The underside of the water tank
4477 has been suffering from a water leak from the roof tank.  This only showed itself when the tank was more than half full, so we kept the tank in use and tried not to fill it too much.  This proved to be a mistake as when we took the roof panels down, it had been leaking constantly, slowly increasing as the tank filled.  The small leak when there was a small amount in the tank was absorbed into the roof, when the tank filled, the leak increased until the water poured out of the light fitting.
The leak was coming from one of the small hose connections, which are just visible in the picture.  Because we left the tank in use, it has destroyed the roof panels which now need replacing.  The leak itself is fairly easy to fix, just a new hose and clip.
A slight diversion, new gauge backing discs for loco 46512
BR Mark 2 BFK 17101

The roof with the fibre glass cap removed.

The right hand side of the roof with some plate work repairs

The left hand side with repaired platework

New strengthening supports welded in place

The end with horizontal supports in place

The removed fibre glass roof cap, awaiting repairs

More views of new horizontal supports.

Thursday 13 February 2014

A not much news week

This period started with a trip to Oldham to attend a funeral, whilst down there it was a visit to the East Lancashire Railway to view two coaches which were for sale.

The first was this CK, not too bad a condition but some issues to sort out

The second was this FK, not quite as good as the CK, a fair number of water ingress areas, so a lot to sort out.  We are looking for a first class vehicle, one that will be able to run straight out of the box, not sure if these meet the criteria.
Whilst back at the ranch, Richard had sorted out the door step web plates on 4477

This picture is taken from the "4ft" looking in to the vestibule end, cleaned up metal work.

The new bridge beams paid a visit to the shed, this was to have the bearing pads cleaned up prior to them being placed in position on 14 / 15 Feb

More work on 742058, this is one of the end boards which we decided needed replacing as well.
The other end, cleaned up and awaiting the new boards.
The original board that the wagon first came in to have replaced
Robert decided that the ground frame that has been with us for some time, needed to be painted black.  This frame is now finished and should be placed in position at Aviemore north during March.
Not strictly carriage news but causing a bit stir in these parts, the crane arrived for the bridge lift.  Notice that we have snow again!
Another view

Monday 3 February 2014

When things go from bad to even worse!

BR mark one, SO number 4477, finally came in for its service this week.  As mentioned in an earlier post it needed attention to the floor in the non toilet end.  Owing to it not making it into the shed in time to do a thorough repair, the plan was to try to cover the bad bit with a piece of aluminium checker plate.
The duck tape by the gangway door is covering the point where the lino started to break up.
Alarm bells start to ring when you realise just how far the floor has risen owing to rust.  This is about one and a half inches above where it should be.  It was to get worse when it was discovered that someone had attempted a repair in the past and filled some of the gap with a piece of wood.
Even more alarm bells start when the tape is removed to find a concrete screed approximately half an inch deep, the concrete had started to break up.
When the lino was lifted, it revealed half of the original lino underneath.  This had been cut down the middle, the rot in the floor squashed down and the whole lot covered in the concrete screed.
Definitely not the way to carry out a repair.
The complete floor had to be removed, the area of concern is the dip in the steel across the gangway entrance.

More views
The end panels should really be removed to do a thorough repair, however owing to time restraints, we are going to attempt to replace the floor with the end panels still in situ.
An attempt to repair the dip in the steel frame will be the deciding factor, if it will be successful or not.

Bill discovered that the brake cylinders were not facing the right direction, causing the hose from the DA valve to the release valve to rub on the chassis.  This was caught just in time as both hoses had become holed. 
Bill re-fitting the new hose.

Mark 2 BFK 17101 

 Richard contemplating the next move on the end panels, lots of dust in the air for this picture.

Joyce, having resumed her regular Wednesday slot, sands down the window surrounds ready for painting with primer.

The end panels have been completely cut away on both sides of the gangway.
The last thing to be removed will be the fibre glass dome.